Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Mom's Magazine

For as long as I can remember, Mom always had a magazine basket in the living room.  Through the years, there were magazines that came and went, but Southern Living was a constant.  As a child and teenager, I couldn't have cared less about the magazine, but as I aged, it became one of those things I just associated with Mom and home.
As a college student, I would see the magazine in the grocery store check out lane, and I would immediately think about the comforts of home.

As a young adult, I would peruse the magazine while visiting at Mom's house just because it was sitting there in the living room and I didn't have much else to occupy my mind or time.  Later, I became more interested in the magazine's subjects, so I would mention a recipe or article or picture out loud to Mom as I flipped through the pages.  Eventually, I got to where I would take the older issues home with me.  Leaving with a handful of magazines after a visit became something I looked forward to, and I'm pretty sure Mom enjoyed having something to give me.

At 34 years of age and being a mom of two, I finally decided I was old enough to have my own Southern Living subscription.  And sure enough, every time an issue comes in the mail, I feel a little happy peace inside because I think of my mom.

In reality, the magazine is just words and pictures on pages, but to me, it's so much more--it's a connection to my mom.  So even though I'm not stealing Mom's magazine any more, it will really always be "Mom's magazine."

No comments:

Post a Comment