Thursday, May 29, 2014

Composting: Just the Basics, Please

Why should you compost?  Because you can reduce landfill waste...save money...know what you're putting in your soil...grow better plants...and most importantly, have a lot of fun!

When I first started composting, I kept reading that I couldn't really mess it up...well, actually, yeah, I can!  It took me about three years to get it figured out and have usable compost.  So let me save you some trouble and give you the basics to getting it right the first time.

The Bin

First, get a compost bin.  Buy one, make one, whatever...just get one.  A bin doesn't aid in the composting process, but it makes the compost seem more manageable...organized...and neater looking.  I recommend building your own two-compartment bin with one side being twice the size of the other.



The smaller side of the bin will be devoted to waste.  Just let it pile up; no turning necessary.

"Waste Side"

The larger side of the bin will be devoted to compost.  Once the waste side gets full (or you get eager to compost), move the waste to one side of the compost side.  Turn the compost over about every 2-3 days, flipping from one side to the other of the compost side of the bin.  I recommend investing in a quality, American-made pitch fork.  It will be well worth the investment.

"Compost Side" (Turn compost from one side to the other every 2-3 days.)

The bin should not have a bottom; your compost needs to be in contact with the ground.  Depending on your situation, you may have to enclose your bin to keep critters out.  (When we got the new puppy, I had to use some hardware cloth and garden fencing to make a temporary front.)  Just make sure air can still flow through the bin.

The Logistics

Location: You will want your bin close enough to the kitchen for convenience, but far enough away to avoid odor or pests.  Mine is about 20 feet from the back door, which is perfect for my situation.

Collection: You have two options for collecting kitchen waste--a bowl/sack on the counter that is taken to the bin after each meal or a container with a lid that is taken to the bin every other day or so. Please DO NOT waste money on purchasing a container with a charcoal filter because it is simply unnecessary and, in my opinion, doesn't provide any of the advertised benefits.  I use a large butter tub with a lid and take out my waste every other day.

Duration: The time it takes for the waste to turn to compost depends on a lot of factors, one of which is the size of the waste materials.  For example, apples take a lot longer to compost than grapes.  Just keep turning, and eventually, it will all turn into "black gold."  Sometimes, my compost still has large pieces that I will just leave in the bin when I take out my compost for use.

What to Compost

The hardest part of composting is getting the right carbon/nitrogen ratio (about 50/50).

Carbon materials (think brown) include dried leaves, paper, cardboard, straw, sawdust, dried grass, dryer lint.

Nitrogen materials (think green) include grass cuttings, green leaves, fruit/vegetable trimmings, weeds, old flowers, coffee grounds.

You want about half of each type of material.  So if you dump in a whole bunch of grass cuttings, you'll need to lay off adding other nitrogens and add a whole bunch of carbons instead.  As you get familiar with your compost, you will more easily be able to see what it needs, so don't let the 50/50 ratio stress you out.  Remember, composting is fun!

Materials to Avoid: chemically-treated materials, meat, dairy products, fat/grease, carnivore manure (cat, dog, human--yuck!), non-biodegradable items such as plastic.

Happy Composting!  And as always, post your comments below to let me know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Great post about composting! I took.an organic farming course at Alabama. Your explanation is clear and simple and right on. I need to attempt composting again here at home. I feel guilty every time I throw out our veggie scraps, egg shells, etc...

    ReplyDelete