Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Something about Strawberries


There's just something about strawberries that signals the start of summer, and growing my own organic strawberries is one of my greatest joys.  I could spend this entire post describing the pride I feel after harvesting a meal's worth of perfect berries or the pleasure I get when the boys pick some berries and toss them in their mouths for a snack just because they were walking by and saw the berries yearning to be picked.  But instead, I'm going to give you some sound advice for growing your OWN organic strawberries so you can experience the joy for yourself!

1. First off, there are different types of strawberries, so choose wisely.  I started with two strawberry plants picked up on a whim at Lowe's.  For two years, I wondered why my berries were so tiny and my mom's were so hefty.  Alas, mom informed me that I had simply purchased a type of strawberry different from her grocery store-worthy fruit.


So I got several plants from her, and was soon reassured that the tiny berries were not an indication of my gardening skills.  This is a good time to note that strawberry plants produce "daughter" plants that have to be pulled up and transplanted.  Ask around and find someone willing to give you his/her daughter plants for FREE (or at least in exchange for digging them up yourself)!  A family of four will be provided with some snacks and side dishes for about 6 weeks with about 10 plants.  That's a good number to start with if you're a beginning gardener.  Later if you want to make jam and have berries to share, go ahead and plant a huge patch!

2. After selecting the type of strawberry you want, select a good spot for planting.  I have had the best luck with full sun, even in the heat of Alabama.  Consider using strawberries as part of your decorative landscaping.  They are beautiful plants that stay green year-around.


3. When I plant practically anything, including strawberries, I add compost to my soil, top with mulch (for strawberries, use pine straw), add a little organic fertilizer, and water well.

4. As with all perennials, the first year is the hardest.  Keep those babies watered and free of pests.  The biggest pest problem I have had is SLUGS.  I tried insecticidal soap...Nope!  I tried copper barriers...Nope!  I tried crushed egg shells...Nope!  I tried used coffee grounds...Maybe!  I have had less slug trouble this year, but is it because of the coffee grounds?  I'm not really sure.  But it's worth a try for you (if you drink coffee and have grounds readily available.)  Just sprinkle the grounds all around the plants.  Reapply as often as you have grounds available.  However, as with all organic gardening, be willing to share a little.

5. A final note: I stick small "tomato" cages in my strawberry plants to keep the dog from trampling through them.  If birds become a problem, you will have to throw some aviary netting over your plants as well.

Post your comments below to let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment