Friday, July 17, 2015

Okra, Okra, and more Okra

It's that time of year when the okra is coming in strong and I find myself saying, "What am I going to do with all this okra?"  I'm sorry, but I just can't stomach pickled okra.  I like my okra one way and one way only: fried!  

Unfortunately, once okra has been frozen or canned, it just turns into a slimy mess--not anything that can be fried up and turn out decent. So here's something I'm trying new this year; let's hope it works.

Ready-to-Fry Frozen Okra

Step 1: Wash okra and cut into pieces.

Step 2: Coat pieces in cornmeal.  (And for those who don't know, true Southern frying is done with a light cornmeal-dusting batter, none of that thick, heavy carnival-like stuff.)


Step 3: Arrange the coated okra in a single layer on a cookie sheet.


Step 4: Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Step 5: Allow the okra to cool and then place it in quart freezer bags.


1 comment:

  1. if that doesn't work - my dad has started canning it and it fries up perfectly! i fried some from last year yesterday and just drained it from the can, rinsed it a few times then battered it up and dropped it in the grease - tasted fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete