Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cloth Napkins: Ditch the Disposables

Growing up, I always remember using cloth napkins for holiday and special-occasion meals.  As we got older, my mom began using cloth napkins for every meal.

A couple of years ago, after a meal at her house, I was thinking about how I loved using cloth napkins whenever we ate there, and it dawned on me...I can use cloth napkins at my house, too.  My mom has a bit of an obsession with table linens, so she gave me several of her sets of napkins.  We have been using them ever since.

One of the greatest things about using cloth napkins is that they are environmentally friendly.  Just think for a moment how many napkins and paper towels an average family of four will go through in one day...one week...one year!  It's mind-boggling!  Making the switch to cloth napkins can make a big impact on the amount of household waste a person has, so please, give it a try.

If you have access to a sewing machine, making napkins is probably the simplest sewing project there is.  Simply cut a square of fabric and hem the edges.  Standard dinner napkins are 20x20 inches, which is a little large for every day use.  My favorite set of napkins are these small, lightweight ones that are only 12x12 inches.


This set is also a favorite because the red and white gingham hides ketchup and pasta sauce stains quite nicely.


I think this set is the prettiest, but it is the most seldom used (for obvious reasons if you have ever seen my children eat!).  However, we do pull out the classic white napkins for special occasions, and I love seeing them on my farmhouse table.


Cloth napkins are fun as well.  Think of them as an accessory for your table.  You can buy or make them in all kinds of colors and patterns.  (My next sewing project is a set of Star Wars napkins per the kids' request.)

Cloth napkins add a "homey" touch to every meal, as well.  Something about cloth napkins just seems more inviting.  It tells guests that you're glad they're sharing a meal at your house and they're worth more than a disposable paper napkin.

I invite you all to make the eco-friendly switch to cloth and ditch the disposables!

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to do this for a while but just haven't done it. But I think ill make some out of some left over fabric I have laying around! :)

    ReplyDelete