Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday Meals: Asian Shrimp with Broccoli and Quinoa

I have long disliked cooking.  I don't like being in the kitchen, I don't like the mess it makes,  I never know what I'm doing, I'm scared of getting burned, and I'm perfectly happy eating a sandwich or a bowl of cereal for supper.  Those are just a few of the reasons I don't like cooking.

But to ensure my family is eating healthy, I have to cook for them.  And for me to cook, it has to be quick and simple.  (Pretty much like everything else I do.)  So I am introducing Monday Meals.  Every Monday, I will post a quick, simple, (mostly) clean meal for you to try.  And please do try it, because if I cook something, then literally anybody can cook it.

This Asian Shrimp meal has 7 ingredients (including the entree and sides), and it takes about 25 minutes to prepare and cook.  It doesn't get much easier than that!!!

ASIAN SHRIMP WITH BROCCOLI AND QUINOA

Ingredients
1.5 pounds PEELED shrimp (fresh or frozen)
2 TBS organic extra virgin olive oil
1 TBS local, organic honey
1 TBS organic, low-sodium soy sauce
2 TBS McCormick 'Perfect Pinch' Asian seasoning
Organic broccoli (fresh or frozen)
Organic, fair-trade quinoa or brown rice

*If you can't find local, organic, fair-trade, low-sodium, etc. for each ingredient, then use what you can.

Directions
First, cook quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) or brown rice according to directions.  I use the Near East brand of a quinoa/brown rice blend.  It takes about 20 minutes to cook.



Steam fresh broccoli on the stove, or use a microwave steamable product.  If I don't have any in the garden, I use the Publix Greenwise brand in the microwave steamer bag.  It takes about 6 minutes to cook.



While the quinoa and broccoli are cooking, cook the Asian Shrimp as follows:

*IMPORTANT NOTE: I use PEELED, DEVEINED, TAIL-OFF medium shrimp.  The shrimp must be peeled before you cook them!

Place shrimp in a large ceramic or cast iron skillet.  (If shrimp is frozen, cook on high heat until thawed.  Drain water from shrimp.  Return to skillet and continue following recipe.)



Drizzle with olive oil.  Add ingredients and stir.  (The amounts are estimates and not true measurements.)



Cook shrimp on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.  It may take more or less time depending on the size and temperature of the shrimp.  When all the shrimp have turned pink, it is done.


Fix your plates (you can lay the shrimp on top of the rice or keep everything separate) and enjoy!  I wish I had a picture of everything nicely plated, but I was too ready to eat to take pictures!

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy. I'm putting it on the meal plan for next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete