Thursday, June 12, 2014

Natural Living: Start Small

Many people have asked me, especially recently, how they can make the big switch to the natural life.  I try to answer specific questions, but the conversation usually ends with me saying, "Yes, you can do this.  Just start small!"

I would LOVE to be able to say that I only eat organic food that I've grown or raised myself, that I own nothing made outside of the US, that I produce my own electricity, that I have zero chemicals in my home, and so on and so on.  But I'm not there yet (and probably won't ever be).  What I am doing is educating myself and always trying to "do a little better."

Here's how my family has progressively changed our lifestyle over the last 8 years:

1. Ate a little healthier (in stages).

  • Bought fruit instead of processed snacks.
  • Cooked supper at home more often.
  • Stopped eating fast food.
  • Stayed on the outer aisles of the grocery store.
  • Eliminated foods with chemicals (such as dyes, flavorings, and preservatives).
  • Reduced (would like to eliminate) processed food.


To help make healthier choices, ask yourself: Is it nutritional and is it natural?

Eat nutritional, natural food.

2. Switched to organic and fair trade foods (first produce and milk, and then expanded from there).


Look for the USDA Organic symbol.


3. Eliminated Teflon-coated cookware.  We use ceramic and cast iron skillets.

4. Started growing our own produce.  We started with easy perennials, like strawberries and asparagus, in small raised beds and expanded from there.

5. Constructed a rain barrel.

6. Reduced waste. We started reusing things like Ziploc bags and food containers.  We started recycling and composting.

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.


7. Switched to natural and organic products.

  • Tom's toothpaste, bar soap, and deodorant.
  • Mrs. Meyer's liquid handsoap.
  • Dr. Bronner's castille soap for cleaning.
  • Seventh Generation laundry and dishwashing detergent.
  • Burt's Bees and Nature's Gate shampoo.
Tom's is a popular brand.

8. Began buying American-made products.  (This has been the most difficult.)

9. Began raising our own meat.  We are in the very early stages of this.


There are plenty of people out there that are completely self-sustaining.  I am pretty sure I won't ever get to that point just because I'm too lazy.  I don't see myself grinding my own flour or making my own soap, but who knows...

So, my final advice is this: If you are interested in living a more natural life, pick what's important to you and focus on that one thing first.  Don't get overwhelmed in trying to make a drastic overhaul at once.  Start small!

No comments:

Post a Comment