Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Coffee Drinkers Unite

I have a confession: I am a coffee drinker.  I do my best to eat/drink healthy, but I currently have a coffee habit...one cup almost every morning.  I reassure myself with a study from a few years ago that said one cup of coffee per day may reduce my risk of melanoma.  Yeah, sure, that's what I'm telling myself.

So if you are like me and just don't want to shake the caffeine, I have some eco-friendly tips to assuage the guilt of coffee.  Here goes...

1. Reusable Filter. If you use k-cups, STOP!  Not only are those little plastic cups harmful, but they are also wasteful.  I love the convenience of the Keurig as much as the next person, and you can still use the machine, just swap the cups for the reusable filter.  You can purchase one anywhere Keurig machines and accessories are sold.  If you can find (and afford) a non-plastic one that fits your machine, that's even better.  Here's the one I use.
Yes, you lose some of the convenience because the filter has to be cleaned out, but it's safer, produces less waste, saves money, and the grounds can be composted.  I think all those benefits are definitely worth one extra minute of your time!

2. Organic.  Yes, you can buy organic coffee.  As with all your foods, look for the USDA certified organic seal.


3. Fair Trade.  Most of us are now familiar with the organic seal above, but fewer people think about purchasing fair trade certified products.  There are actually several different seals, but these two are the most widely accepted.


Why is fair trade important?  Fair trade ensures that workers, especially those in third-world countries, are paid fair wages, and Fair Trade USA promotes sustainable practices as well.  You can find out more at fairtradeusa.org.

The coffee I am drinking as I type this is The Organic Coffee Co.'s French Roast.  It costs around $8 at Publix (much cheaper than k-cups...rough math is .25 versus .55 per cup).


The Organic Coffee Co. is a division of the Rogers Family Company.  They have an amazing array of tea and coffee products, including kosher coffee.  They have a beautiful website with lots of information, so if you are a coffee connoisseur, you would definitely enjoy checking it out www.rogersfamilyco.com.

4. Smart Sweeteners. I drink it black, but if you don't want to, at least be smart with your sweeteners and flavorings.  Use local honey, organic milk, sugar that is also organic and fair trade certified, and organic, natural flavors.  As always, ditch the fake stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment